3 thoughts on “What it means to write

1. I relate to this so much!! Just the other day I was thinking about how the first paper I was ever assigned in elementary school was required to be written in cursive with a #2 pencil on college-ruled paper. I miss it so much. I firmly believe that we should be allowed to handwrite papers and essays, it is romantic. And that’s what an English major (or class) should be! We should consistently fall in love with what we study and do.

Even if we had to argue this from an academic perspective, handwriting does WONDERS for memory, and I always say that if I make a mistake in pen I’ll remember it far more than if I just type “delete.”

It’s awesome that you’re writing so many journal entries, that’s something I’ve always wanted to do and I admire that so much! 🙂

2. I love that you decided to write this post as a journal entry. It adds a human quality to the writing and makes it seem less academic and rigid. Your use of descriptive language is beautiful, especially when comparing journals and computers. Your word choice is very poetic. I’ve felt the same way this semester. Academic writing is hard, and I’m going to try to make my last essay as engaging and non-robotic as possible in order to make it seem more human.

3. I thoroughly enjoyed that you selected to handwrite your blog post for this week! I used to fill up journal after journal as a child., but became socialized and conditioned to technology. Unfortunately, even now, I keep my poetry in the confines of my notes app. I loved that you discussed how hard it is to figure out what writing style suits you best. Furthermore, it took me a long time to figure out that authoritative academic papers let me speak to all my desires. I also wish we would go back to hand writing certain projects and assignments.