The Villain Outshines the Princess

I love the original Disney version of Sleeping Beauty, but my reasons have nothing to do with the tale surrounding the sleeping princess. The artwork is what draws me to this film, as I am a fan of the old art style of Disney animated films. Specifically, in this movie, the background scenery is pleasing to me.

The other reason I love this film is for the infamous villain Maleficent. From the moment she is introduced into the film, she commands your attention, and has such a presence in every scene she appears.

I thought it was interesting that Disney developed such a different villain from the original story. Maleficent has power and agency throughout the story, which contrasts significantly with Aurora’s character, who has no control over what happens to her.

Another thing I’d like to note is Maleficent’s character design. When she is in human form she has this long billowing cloak. She takes up space. She gets even larger later in the film when she transforms into a dragon. In contrast, Aurora’s design is a small, petite woman. These character designs remind me of our discussion about Ariel and Ursula’s designs in the Disney film as well.

In the end, however, Maleficent is defeated, which definitely sends a message about what kind of women is “right” within the story: the quiet, pretty, passive one. Maleficent has accrued a significant fan base throughout the years, and Disney even chose to develop her in their re-make. This move was smart on their part, as I don’t know many who care much for the original tale of the sleeping beauty and the messages within it. The villain definitely outshines the princess in this version.

All images source: Animation Directors for these scenes: Marc Davis and Eric Larson (1959) https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0053285/mediaindex/?ref_=tt_mv_sm

5 thoughts on “The Villain Outshines the Princess

1. I love your analysis of Maleficent– particularly when you mention how she “takes up space” and the furthering of this when she transforms into a dragon. Finding the parallel to Ursula in the Little Mermaid was also well done!

I agree with you on the beautiful artwork featured in Sleeping Beauty, the colors and backdrops are always stunning and it seems as though aesthetics were consistently considered throughout the creation of this movie.

I would have loved to hear more about your opinions on the colors and backdrops of this movie, especially if you hold any opinion on the difference of color schemes in scenes with Maleficent versus Sleeping Beauty or the prince.

2. I really liked your analysis of how Disney portayed Malicifent in their movie and how you brought attention to how the backdrop and colors that were used affected the story being told in the movie. I also would have liked to hear more about your view on how the backdrops and colors affected the movie.

3. First off, I love this film, and I love it because of the villain. I had never noticed how much space she takes up, I mean even the spell with the thorn-bushes she creates takes up space. I also love all the images you’ve included, it makes for a brighter post and more enjoyable read.
    I feel like your post was split into two ideas, between scenery and the villain, and I feel like the scenery point was rushed over and very brief. I would have liked to hear more about it or perhaps have seen your post just focused on one or the other, especially because posts are so brief.

4. I think the points about the strengths and weaknesses of the Disney adaptation of Sleeping Beauty are spot on. There’s a reason that absolutely nobody talks about Aurora (I didn’t even remember her name until I saw this post), but there’s a huge fanbase for Maleficent. Looking at the artwork you chose for this post, I would have liked to hear more about the fantastic backgrounds that were made for this film and how that relates to the greater themes of the movie.

5. I loved some of the points you made in this! Personally, I don’t really like the story of Sleeping Beauty, I never really have. But I totally agree with you that Maleficent commands attention as soon as she is on screen. I would’ve liked to hear you talk more about why the artwork is so pleasing to you. Why does it draw your attention?