Ariel vs The Little Mermaid

I believe the Disney adaptation of the Little Mermaid wants the audience to view Ariel as adventurous. We feel bad that her father is controlling, and we want Ariel to live out her dreams and be with Eric. We see this specific chemistry she has with the prince, and we feel pity for her since this evil sea witch tempted her through the invitation of two eels. But in the Hans Christian Andersen version, I did not feel the same type of pity for the Little Mermaid. I felt there was a lack of passion, and overall, the main character seemed foolish. Throughout her time with the prince, she is treated as a pet. Then has to endure the guilt that her sisters provide. I think that is a significant theme change since her sisters were barely present in the Disney adaptation. The Anderson version made the story more about feminine relationships by giving the sisters and the grandmother more prominent roles, while the Disney adaption was more strictly about Ariel having daddy issues. Also, I feel like the audience does not feel the same empathy for the little mermaid because she does go to the sea witch, but she never has anyone who needs to persuade her to go. Yes, severe pain is inflicted on her, but it’s her own fault, and I don’t think the sea witch is the villain in this adaptation.

2 thoughts on “Ariel vs The Little Mermaid

1. I agree with your comments about Ariel versus The Little Mermaid. I felt the same between the two characters with little to no pity for the princess in Hans Christian Andersen version. I also liked how you pointed out the difference in the feminine relationships between the two versions. I think it’s interesting that Disney pushes the sisters to the side, and the only other developed female character in the movie is the villain.

2. I didn’t realize the part about the sea witch until this moment. In the Hans Christian Anderson version, the Sea Witch is not necessarily the villain. In the HCA version, I would personally interpret the villain as nature itself. Her struggles throughout the story are not perpetuated by the Sea Witch, but actually by the fact that she will turn into sea foam when she dies.